Monday, February 9, 2009

Dreams

3264941835_ac2c231cca by you.

When I was a little boy my father made me a wooden sword and shield.

Although he made me many things, and did a lot of different things with me... the sword was my favorite. I played with it for years. I carried it into every major battle, every campaign. It was by my side for every neighborhood war and throughout many conflicts.

It lasted longer than any other sword I owned... indeed it made it through years.. until finally it cracked upon meeting a rather large axehandle.

That day was a sad one.. I retired my sword then.. put it away before it could break the rest of the way.. and I still have it to this day. Even now when I pick it up.. I can feel the magic... hear the call of my friends, urging me to their defense.

Those days are never far from my heart.

So now.. making a couple for my own kids... I will spare no effort. To make them a couple of wooden swords which perhaps will mean as much to them. Although who can tell... every childhood is different. Some of my father's greatest labors went unappreciated by me as a child.

Most likely the things that they will cherish most about their childhood (where I'm concerned) will be things that I may not even take notice of at the time.

Oh well.... the wooden swords will still mean a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment