Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Culture


DSC07903
Originally uploaded by texasgawain
I'm a redneck.

I say that with all sorts of different feelings at different times. The word redneck holds many different connotations, depending on how its used and who you're talking to.

For some people its equivalent to 'White Trash', which if you ask me is about the most negative terminology we have to apply to white people. But honestly.. I think 'redneck' has a lot of positive meaning as well, and believe it or not.. it can refer to certain blacks as well as the usual white's its applied to.

Don't believe me? Well truthfully its harder to fit the image of a 'redneck' if you're black, but I've definitely met several. Imagine Red Fox with a deep southern accent and a cowboy hat. Yes I've met some folks like that.

But I digress, lets get back to the meat of the matter... 'REDNECKS'. When I call myself that a lot of well meaning people that know me in my daily life would say, "No! No way, you don't look, sound or act like one." But they're wrong.

Just because I grew up a boy wonder, intelligent, bookish, excessively well read, etc... etc.. you get the picture, just because I grew up smart and well spoken, does NOT mean I'm not a redneck. It has more to do with my upbringing I guess.

Lets refocus a bit... without a doubt, I'm a southerner, a Texan, and I'm proud of it. Growing up my family regarded 'white trash' as something BAD, but 'redneck' was more of an exaggerated form of Texan. Something that could be funny, could be silly, might be good, and/or could refer to an ignorant ass too.

Given the right environment, my accent and demeanor change quite a bit.... you'd be surprised. Anyway, even though I don't fit the general image.. I'm still proud of my family's cultural heritage.

By the way.. this picture is of a truck that inspired the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment