Thursday, January 22, 2009

Letters from the Dead


wallet
Originally uploaded by texasgawain
This is my wallet. Its leather, and its a lot like my last wallet. However it has a few notable features.

First, it contains an all purpose multi parsec communicator, able to reach out and touch someone light years away. Second it doubles as a weapon if I get mugged. Just throw it at the mugger and run.

Ok ... I was joking.. only #2 is true.

It really does have a lot of other meaningful features (for me). First, it was given to me by my wife's grandmother, Irene, after her husband Doug died. Inside she wrote me a lovely note about how she had given it to him.. but he wouldn't stop using his old wallet (rather like me). Anyway.. he died.. and so she sent it to me, clearing out old things etc...

I really liked Doug, he was very personable and an all around great bloke. So I took to using the wallet. Then a year or so later.. she died as well. I still have her note inside.

All in all.. being the nostalgic kind of guy I am.. I will probably use this wallet till it falls apart. It seems a palpable link to England (a place I love) as well as a link to two wonderful people that I didn't get to spend enough time learning about.

So now I have two reminders of them, their granddaughter (my sweetie) and this wallet. I can't squeeze her into my back pocket so the wallet definitely has a special place for me as well.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment